1. It’s cold and snowing in central Mississippi!!! For these reasons, I took my own snow day. Got all the way down to 8:06 before I decided I was going to stay home (shift starts at 8:30). It was a good decision. I have cleared a nice sized chunk from my nearly full DVR. MDOT said not to travel unless it was necessary. As long as I have vacation time, it’s never necessary.
2. This snow day is on the heels of a vacation to Atlanta. Every year since 2008, Boo Thang and I have traveled to Atlanta to the Honda Battle of the Bands in January. Sometimes this one of the few times (read: 2) that we leave the state of Mississippi. Every time we visit, I fall madly in love with the city. So much so that this year we started looking at apartments! We want to leave Mississippi
because it sucks for better opportunities that we don’t feel we can get at home. Because we are Southern through and through, Atlanta is perfect. Contrary to popular belief, if we found a job out there on our salaries here….we’d still make it. Operation Leave Mississippi may have grown wings.
3. Traveling home I missed the first hour of the Grammys (thank God for DVR). Of course they had to open with my girl Beyoncé!! I have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed by the performance but it was still hot. Checking all social media outlets though had me bummed. I was actually tired of the hate and stereotypes. It took from the production. I even had to snap on Facebook!
However my favorite part of the night was the Macklemore performance. Not only was it about marriage equality, but acceptance period. I loved it.
4. I am still on the job hunt. It is very important to me to find something that furthers my drive and passion for life. I am toying with the notion of taking my law degree off of my resume. As hard as I worked for that degree (and am still working to use it!) I don’t want to do it. However I know it’s the reason I can move ahead. Weird, huh. Employers see the law degree and they immediately think “she won’t be here long” or “she’s looking for more money than we want to pay” or “later on she will steal our clients.” I know this because it’s come up in interviews. The Witch in me wants to ask them why they called me in for an interview, but I smile, answer all questions truthfully and send the thank you cards for callbacks I never receive. I won’t give up. Refer to random #2.
How is your Tuesday?
1. It’s so great to finally have another off day. My Fridays off are like little oases of happiness. If I can just make it to Thursday, I feel like I am alright.
2. Somehow I keep missing deliveries from FedEx. Do they just not attempt to deliver to my door because I live in an apartment complex? Do I not get a “hey we stopped by sticker?” Do they automatically assume the front office will notify me…..they do NOT!
3. Still making it happen with Weight Watchers. I made to last night before I used any of my weekly indulgence points. The weekends are usually for eating out so I knew I would need them. Last night I needed pizza in my life so I ate the mess out of two 10 point slices of Honolulu Hawaiian and never looked back.
4. I registered for the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam yesterday for the March exam. It’s the first and usually minor step to retaking the bar exam. This however is huge for me. I haven’t sat for the bar since February 2011. I’m really hoping everything turns out well.
5. Outside of laundry and washing my hair, nothing at all will get done today. I’m all about my Kindle and Bloglovin today.
Happy New Year!!!! This is that grand ol time of year where we all set these marvelous and grand new year’s resolutions. Then we get to somewhere around May and say screw it til next year this time. I’m kinda tired of doing that. I want to make the goals that I set be things that are actually worked on and things that I can look back on in a year’s time and say “I did that!”
I realize that my goals are way too big to be accomplished in a year. THIS is why I crash and burn before a quarter of the year is out. I read that smaller, more realistic goals tend to be ones that aer kept. So being the perfectionist that I am, I will follow that advice.
I already have a 30 to do in my 30s list….that is something that is supposed to take a decade to do. I need to work on things to better myself today. So here is my list:
- Lose 15 pounds. Now this is a realistic goal. I have an overall weight loss goal of 60 pounds, but that number is so….HUGE. So taking it 15 pounts at a time shouldn’t be so bad. I don’t have a diet plan except for to drink more water, eat out less and get my ass off the couch.
- Start off each day with a positive affirmation. I place too much negative energy in the air. I recognize this about myself so it is time to change that.
- Save more money. I have financial goals but no plan…so I’m just baby steps from paycheck to paycheck living. That’s not good. I am going to use the 52 week challenge where you save a dollar per week corresponding to what week it is. Baby steps….
- Take the MPRE and pass. Oh the ethics test….gotta have that score in order to be licensed, so I may as well knock that out and get my confidence up.
- Blog more!! I’m talking at least 2 posts a week. Looking at my schedule now, if I do that, you can call me Superwoman.
That’s a pretty decent goal list for 2014. Do you have any resolutions or goals for the new year? Do share!!
Most people wait until the tail end of the year in order to make lists and goals for themselves to make themselves better. I, however, need a life list. I need a short term list of REAL achievable goals that would make my life flow smoother and make me a better person. I need to start on them right now because there is no time like the present.
I feel like I have lost a portion of myself along the way. I would be lying if I said I didn’t know what happened. I know EXACTLY what happened. I can trace my lost feelings all the way back to September 2008. It was compounded in April 2009 and further thrown out the window in April 2011. These were the 3 times that I found out I failed the Mississippi Bar exam. As much as I have tried to create an identity for myself that doesn’t include having gone to law school, I realize that I’m existing way under my station. I’m lost. I’ve gotten caught in the working to make a living rat race that just 6 short years ago I always wanted to avoid. I don’t know who I am. I don’t know what I want to do. I just know it isn’t this. I guess that really is the first step to breaking a rut. Knowing that this really is not it.
I want to get my passion for life life back. I want to not feel so jaded all the time. I want to smile and laugh and the possibility of something new and positive. It starts with me and my mindset. It starts today.
Happy New Year!!!! It’s a new year, new set of challenges. I don’t want to get into the whole “new year, new me” trend that happens every January 1st. Most people declare “19– is gonna be my year, 20– is gonna be my year!” I’m starting to wonder when is it going to ever be their year. Instead of making such gradiose statements this year, I’m just going to work on making myself a little better, a little bit at a time. I am a procrastinator in everything that I do…so I have yet to come up with a working list of goals for 2012. That is coming in a later post. I got time, lol.
What I am going to start doing (and I promise this EVERY YEAR) is to start blogging a lot more. I am going to do another 30 day blog challenge to help me get into the swing of posting regularly. I rarely ever finish them….but I am making a goal to do just that. It is a 30 day Music Challenge…..which is right up my alley. I started this on my now dead Tumblr. So I figure I can do it over…..since no one saw it over there anyway lol.
Day 1: Your favorite song
Day 2: Your least favorite song
Day 3: A song that makes you happy
Day 4: A song that makes you sad
Day 5: A song that reminds you of someone
Day 6: A song that reminds you of somewhere
Day 7: A song that reminds you of a certain event
Day 8: A song that you know all the words to
Day 9: A song that you can dance to
Day 10: A song that makes you fall asleep
Day 11: A song from your favorite band
Day 12: A song from a band you hate
Day 13: A song that is a guilty pleasure
Day 14: A song that no one would expect you to love
Day 15: A song that describes you
Day 16: A song that you used to love but not hate
Day 17: A song that you hear often on the radio
Day 18: A song that you wish you heard on the radio
Day 19: A song from your favorite album
Day 20: A song that you listen to when you’re angry
Day 21: A song that you listen to when you’re happy
Day 22: A song that you listen to when you’re sad
Day 23: A song that you want to play at your wedding
Day 24: A song that you want to play at your funeral
Day 25: A song that makes you laugh
Day 26: A song that you can play on an instrument
Day 27: A song that you wish you could play
Day 28: A song that makes you feel guilty
Day 29: A song from your childhood
Day 30: Your favorite song from this time last year
Are you going to do it with me? What are some of your challenges for the new year?
(Here I am again with the procrastination!! Fixing it now!)
The best day of my life was May 10, 2008. This is the day that I graduated from law school. Law school is the most challenging thing that I have ever done and to finish with my juris doctor is the proudest moment of my life. I knew that I wanted to be a lawyer from the time I was in the 11th grade. Took a lot of twists and turns until I got to law school but I made it. I can’t remember feeling more accomplished than at this moment.
See!!! Cheesing all the way down the processional. Happiness was the word!