1. I got a raise!! Granted it’s only a quarter raise but it really gets me excited. As down as I get about my job, things like this allow me to at least stay and be comfortable while I prepare for my career. I’m also getting paid GREAT commission for my work. So now I can pay for these classes with no meals being missed. Now if I can bargain with Uncle Sam to at least let me see more of the fruits of my labor.
2. Mother Nature and I are NOT friends at the moment. I’m definitely weary of not knowing what season it’s going to be on a daily basis. I have seen snow one too many times this year to be a Mississippi girl!! It was 70 degrees two days in a row. So here’s to spring….hopefully…..
3. Daylight Savings Time threw a monkey wrench in my sleep patterns. That hour really does matter. A lot. You’d think that I would be prepared by now, but it catches me off guard every time.
4. I have the baby fever again. Like I am obsessed with it. I will be 31 this year. My mind is coming around to trying again. I am still deathly afraid of being pregnant again because of my miscarriage, but I think I’m ready to stamp out this fear.
1. It’s cold and snowing in central Mississippi!!! For these reasons, I took my own snow day. Got all the way down to 8:06 before I decided I was going to stay home (shift starts at 8:30). It was a good decision. I have cleared a nice sized chunk from my nearly full DVR. MDOT said not to travel unless it was necessary. As long as I have vacation time, it’s never necessary.
2. This snow day is on the heels of a vacation to Atlanta. Every year since 2008, Boo Thang and I have traveled to Atlanta to the Honda Battle of the Bands in January. Sometimes this one of the few times (read: 2) that we leave the state of Mississippi. Every time we visit, I fall madly in love with the city. So much so that this year we started looking at apartments! We want to leave Mississippi because it sucks for better opportunities that we don’t feel we can get at home. Because we are Southern through and through, Atlanta is perfect. Contrary to popular belief, if we found a job out there on our salaries here….we’d still make it. Operation Leave Mississippi may have grown wings.
3. Traveling home I missed the first hour of the Grammys (thank God for DVR). Of course they had to open with my girl Beyoncé!! I have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed by the performance but it was still hot. Checking all social media outlets though had me bummed. I was actually tired of the hate and stereotypes. It took from the production. I even had to snap on Facebook!
However my favorite part of the night was the Macklemore performance. Not only was it about marriage equality, but acceptance period. I loved it.
4. I am still on the job hunt. It is very important to me to find something that furthers my drive and passion for life. I am toying with the notion of taking my law degree off of my resume. As hard as I worked for that degree (and am still working to use it!) I don’t want to do it. However I know it’s the reason I can move ahead. Weird, huh. Employers see the law degree and they immediately think “she won’t be here long” or “she’s looking for more money than we want to pay” or “later on she will steal our clients.” I know this because it’s come up in interviews. The Witch in me wants to ask them why they called me in for an interview, but I smile, answer all questions truthfully and send the thank you cards for callbacks I never receive. I won’t give up. Refer to random #2.
This is a great piece on Kayla’s blog. It really got me to thinking about my life is a good way. I’ve been so bored lately. I hate my job. I rarely go out because my job tires and stresses out. But what ties me to it? Me. It’s time to live! I’m 30….I’m still young!
I’ve been sidelined by retina detachment surgery again. I’m really hoping that this one is the last one. As much as I like my opthalmologist, I hope that he never puts my eye under the knife again. But hey….third time’s a charm, right?
I’m not cleared to go back to work til the 28th. This is great for two reasons. I get to heal and I get a much needed mental vacation from work. Sometimes you get sick and tired of listening to people complain about trivial matters. This gives me time to plan and set some goals with a clear mind….not just out of anger and frustration with my current situation. I have just about come up with an 18 month plan. My daddy told me that real goal setting has a definite plan. Well….here goes.
1. I know I haven’t blogged in a LONG time! Still trying to get adjusted to working 8 hours and having a life after I clock out. It’s the struggle. All That time being unemployed has greatly put me at a disadvantage. Did I say that the pay is absolutely friggin awesome?!?! I’ve never made this much money in one pay period in my entire life! I’m not even getting commision yet! I can also see how a person would get stuck there…..gotta make sure I remember what I’m here for.
2. If I’ve said it before, I’ve said it a million times…..I’M READY TO MOVE! Looking at my take home, we’re set to go by the end of next month.
3. Relationships are ahrd….ESPECIALLY when you’ve been together for a long time. Communication seems to be a struggle. People get too comfortable. Troubled times have shown me that there is no one else that I’d rather go though this stuff with than Boo Thang. (Even though I’m sure we’d like to strangle each other sometimes!)
4. One day Daddy is in love with his wife, the next day I’m supposed to draw up his divorce papers (this is another post in itself). I’ve decided that I no longer want to be involved or kept abreast of the foolishness….because that is exactly what it is. Some folks need to grow the hell up.
Sometimes I feel like when it rains, it pours. I have been extra pouty over the last couple of days because every time something seems to look up in my life, it somehow takes an extra turn and goes a little sour for me. I am one of those people that is a little afraid to get excited about certain things because I don’t want to be disappointed later on. So here’s what’s been going on.
The start date of my new job has been delayed until January 23rd. I was told that it was delayed because even though they have me in the system they have not started on my background check as of November 14th….the date that I was supposed to start. This is extra irritating to me because I have been on the phone with those people back and forth since I got hired. I’ve been breaking my neck trying to find old W2s and checkstubs (which proved to be hard because we have moved and still haven’t found a new place for important documents to go) to fax in to them. I think that if I am being prompt then as a business you should be too. I feel really bad about this because Boo Thang has since picked up a second job. Mind you he did this because he wanted to have extra Christmas money, but it LOOKS like he’s slaving away while I am at home doing nothing (at least this is what I heard it looks like *rolls eyes*). I was looking forward to this job because it means that we could get our own place really soon…..but it looks like that dream is deferred.
My computer crashed. It has EVERYTHING on it. Plus it was my best mode of entertainment thus far. Bye, HP…..it’s been fun.
My dad is depressed because it doesn’t seem like his marriage is working…..after 4 months and 15 days. I told him that shit was not going to work back in June sympathize with him just a little bit. That’s my daddy. He really is good people….too good to be mistreated by an immature, insecure golddigger.
Boo Thang and I need our own place. ASAP. I am starting not to feel like an adult anymore and this is a SERIOUS problem for me as I have always been a pretty independent person.
So these are my gripes. They are all workable….but sometimes it just feels good to pout about it, listen to slow jams and drink wine. I feel
Today I had an interview at Comcast for a Retention Executive position. Pending a drug test and a background check……I GOT A JOB!!!! My start date is November 14th and I couldn’t be happier. I got 2 whole weeks to bring my wardrobe back to professional standards (and clothes that fit properly). *happy screams*
The interviewer….he was amazing. He sat down at the beginning of the interview and told me, “I’ve seen your resume and I’m impressed. Right now I already want to recommend to HR to hire you….so it’s up to you to blow the interview.” Wow. This put me in the most relaxed position EVER. After all the questions, he just kept saying “great” and “brilliant.” Made me feel great. AND he got cool points with me for not dismissing me on sight because of my juris doctor. I thought I had applied to this job with a resume that took this off. Apparently not. When he said,”so I see you have a law degree,” I immediately went OH SHIT in my head. But it was nothing to him….thank God!
I’m just happy that it went so well. The first person I called was my Dad…..can you believe that, lol? I can finally start getting my credit on track. In fact….I’m getting a copy of my credit report sent out to me as I type so I can see the damage. I am one of those awful people that slides it under the rug because there was nothing I could do about it. I can finally bring my student loans current and start saving. More importantly, Boo Thang and I are finally a two income relationship. He just got a promotion (after being there 2 months…what!!). We can finally move out of his mom’s house and start wedding planning.*sighs* All is right with the world.
Yesterday I had a job interview!!! This is awesomeness for me because being unemployed has been working my LAST nerve. It’s a state government job located in Hattiesburg, MS. (If you are reading this, can you please insert me getting this job into your prayers? I will greatly appreciate it!) It’s not legal, but it is something that I can definitely be fulfilled in while I get my financial life in order to save up to take the Louisiana Bar Exam. And the pay is more than I have ever made in life, so no complaints there.
I always get really nervous for interviews. I always worry about saying the right things or answering the questions correctly or making the best impression. This time I practiced. And by practiced, I mean thoroughly rehearsed the answers to commonly asked interview questions. I have logged many man hours on Monster.com looking at articles on interview prep. I walked in there ready. And then they asked me questions that I had no idea how to answer, lol. It amazes me how quick I can think on the fly and how believable it sounds coming out of my mouth! It was also the wrong time to notice how much I say “umm” when I’m stuck…..but hopefully they looked past that. I got some smiles and had good conversations with the two interviewers so hopefully I did well. I won’t know anything until the end of the month at the earliest. So here’s hoping.
Boo Thang went with me to Hattiesburg. That I am SO thankful for. He helped me drive the 5 hours down there….which is always a plus. I hate long distance driving. He was always a help to keep me calm. He knows how rattled I get and he jumped in like Superman, like he always does.After the interview was over, we went on a sightseeing tour of Hattiesburg. I had never been to Hattiesburg. I’ve always been THROUGH Hattiesburg to get to the Coast. Had no real reason to stop there til now. He used to date a girl that went to Southern Miss, so he showed me around. We went mall hopping and apartment looking (by this I mean driving by apartment complexes because I refuse to actually look yet). End result: I have fallen in love with the city of Hattiesburg. I would give a lot to live and work there. I hope that I get this job.