1. It’s cold and snowing in central Mississippi!!! For these reasons, I took my own snow day. Got all the way down to 8:06 before I decided I was going to stay home (shift starts at 8:30). It was a good decision. I have cleared a nice sized chunk from my nearly full DVR. MDOT said not to travel unless it was necessary. As long as I have vacation time, it’s never necessary.
2. This snow day is on the heels of a vacation to Atlanta. Every year since 2008, Boo Thang and I have traveled to Atlanta to the Honda Battle of the Bands in January. Sometimes this one of the few times (read: 2) that we leave the state of Mississippi. Every time we visit, I fall madly in love with the city. So much so that this year we started looking at apartments! We want to leave Mississippi
because it sucks for better opportunities that we don’t feel we can get at home. Because we are Southern through and through, Atlanta is perfect. Contrary to popular belief, if we found a job out there on our salaries here….we’d still make it. Operation Leave Mississippi may have grown wings.
3. Traveling home I missed the first hour of the Grammys (thank God for DVR). Of course they had to open with my girl Beyoncé!! I have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed by the performance but it was still hot. Checking all social media outlets though had me bummed. I was actually tired of the hate and stereotypes. It took from the production. I even had to snap on Facebook!
However my favorite part of the night was the Macklemore performance. Not only was it about marriage equality, but acceptance period. I loved it.
4. I am still on the job hunt. It is very important to me to find something that furthers my drive and passion for life. I am toying with the notion of taking my law degree off of my resume. As hard as I worked for that degree (and am still working to use it!) I don’t want to do it. However I know it’s the reason I can move ahead. Weird, huh. Employers see the law degree and they immediately think “she won’t be here long” or “she’s looking for more money than we want to pay” or “later on she will steal our clients.” I know this because it’s come up in interviews. The Witch in me wants to ask them why they called me in for an interview, but I smile, answer all questions truthfully and send the thank you cards for callbacks I never receive. I won’t give up. Refer to random #2.
How is your Tuesday?
There are many people out there that are choosing one word to be the theme of their year and then striving all year to be that word. I think that’s a great idea. In a world where people make a big deal about resolutions, this makes things a whole lot simpler. When thinking about that one word the year, a song came to mind (yes….my musical being came out with this one). I was watching Despicable Me 2 a couple of weeks ago and Pharrell’s Happy was a song that just stuck in my head. You can just hum it for days. Then I was watching Melissa Harris-Perry last week and they had a whole jam session to this song at the end of show. Now I can’t stop listening to it.
Happiness has been something that has been eluding me foe the past couple years. Since 2010, I have experienced incredible losses that have had me question the core of myself. I haven’t been depressed….I just haven’t been very happy. What I am realizing is that, for the most part, happiness is a choice. Happiness doesn’t just fall out of the sky. The world can’t make me happy. It starts inside me. It’s kind of hard to look yourself in the face and say “Hey Kat….it’s kinda your own fault why you are not happy.” But it’s my truth. For the better part of 2013, I have complained. Complained about my job, Complained about my going nowhere career, Complained about my weight. Just complaints. I didn’t like myself very much last year. How my boyfriend was able to deal with me is so beyond me at this point. (Side note: saying that to him last night got me a lot of hugs and cuddles….but that is another post. Basically he let me know I have been a pill but he understood. Great guy.)
So my goal is just to be happy. Pharrell loves happiness so much that he created a 24 hour music video to this song. (Don’t worry this video is only 4:07 long. Don’t wanna make you guys unhappy….see what I did there?) Whatever this life deals me, I have to handle it with joy. Nothing else will do.
Do any of you have any goal for the year? Can you break them down to one word? Isn’t this song jamming?!
Happy New Year!!!! This is that grand ol time of year where we all set these marvelous and grand new year’s resolutions. Then we get to somewhere around May and say screw it til next year this time. I’m kinda tired of doing that. I want to make the goals that I set be things that are actually worked on and things that I can look back on in a year’s time and say “I did that!”
I realize that my goals are way too big to be accomplished in a year. THIS is why I crash and burn before a quarter of the year is out. I read that smaller, more realistic goals tend to be ones that aer kept. So being the perfectionist that I am, I will follow that advice.
I already have a 30 to do in my 30s list….that is something that is supposed to take a decade to do. I need to work on things to better myself today. So here is my list:
- Lose 15 pounds. Now this is a realistic goal. I have an overall weight loss goal of 60 pounds, but that number is so….HUGE. So taking it 15 pounts at a time shouldn’t be so bad. I don’t have a diet plan except for to drink more water, eat out less and get my ass off the couch.
- Start off each day with a positive affirmation. I place too much negative energy in the air. I recognize this about myself so it is time to change that.
- Save more money. I have financial goals but no plan…so I’m just baby steps from paycheck to paycheck living. That’s not good. I am going to use the 52 week challenge where you save a dollar per week corresponding to what week it is. Baby steps….
- Take the MPRE and pass. Oh the ethics test….gotta have that score in order to be licensed, so I may as well knock that out and get my confidence up.
- Blog more!! I’m talking at least 2 posts a week. Looking at my schedule now, if I do that, you can call me Superwoman.
That’s a pretty decent goal list for 2014. Do you have any resolutions or goals for the new year? Do share!!
Most people wait until the tail end of the year in order to make lists and goals for themselves to make themselves better. I, however, need a life list. I need a short term list of REAL achievable goals that would make my life flow smoother and make me a better person. I need to start on them right now because there is no time like the present.
I feel like I have lost a portion of myself along the way. I would be lying if I said I didn’t know what happened. I know EXACTLY what happened. I can trace my lost feelings all the way back to September 2008. It was compounded in April 2009 and further thrown out the window in April 2011. These were the 3 times that I found out I failed the Mississippi Bar exam. As much as I have tried to create an identity for myself that doesn’t include having gone to law school, I realize that I’m existing way under my station. I’m lost. I’ve gotten caught in the working to make a living rat race that just 6 short years ago I always wanted to avoid. I don’t know who I am. I don’t know what I want to do. I just know it isn’t this. I guess that really is the first step to breaking a rut. Knowing that this really is not it.
I want to get my passion for life life back. I want to not feel so jaded all the time. I want to smile and laugh and the possibility of something new and positive. It starts with me and my mindset. It starts today.